Week 1 of Stage 4 of the Overwatch League is starting tomorrow and teams are ready for battle. As always, this week’s matches offer multiple betting opportunities but before I start analyzing them, let’s take a look at what the teams have done so far.
Stage 3 Results
- 1st place: Boston Uprising (10 W – 0 L)
- 2nd place: New York Excelsior (9 W – 1 L)
- 3rd place: Los Angeles Valiant (7 W – 3 L)
- 4th place: Los Angeles Gladiators (6 W – 4 L)
- 5th place: San Francisco Shock (6 W – 4 L)
- 6th place: London Spitfire (5 W – 5 L)
- 7th place: Seoul Dynasty (5 W – 5 L)
- 8th place: Philadelphia Fusion (5 W – 5 L)
- 9th place: Houston Outlaws (4 W – 6 L)
- 10th place: Florida Mayhem (2 W – 8 L)
- 11th place: Dallas Fuel (1 W – 9 L)
- 12th place: Shanghai Dragons (0 W – 10 L)
The Title Matches for Stage 3 ended with the following results:
- 1st place: New York Excelsior
- 2nd place: Boston Uprising
- 3rd – 4th place: Los Angeles Gladiators and Los Angeles Valiant
- 1st place: New York Excelsior (27 W – 3 L)
- 2nd place: Boston Uprising (22 W – 8 L)
- 3rd place: London Spitfire (20 W – 10 L)
- 4th place: Seoul Dynasty (19 W – 11 L)
- 5th place: Los Angeles Valiant (18 W – 12 L)
- 6th place: Philadelphia Fusion (18 W – 12 L)
- 7th place: Houston Outlaws (16 W – 14 L)
- 8th place: Los Angeles Gladiators (16 W – 14 L)
- 9th place: San Francisco Shock (12 W – 18 L)
- 10th place: Dallas Fuel (6 W – 24 L)
- 11th place: Florida Mayhem (6 W – 24 L)
- 12th place: Shanghai Dragons (0 W – 30 L)
Los Angeles Gladiators vs. San Francisco Shock
Match date: May 16th
Los Angeles Gladiators finished Stage 3 in 4th place with 6 wins and 4 losses. Overall, the team looked decent but struggled against most of the top opponents, losing to Los Angeles Valiant, New York Excelsior, Boston Uprising and San Francisco Shock.
San Francisco Shock made a massive jump last stage in terms of skill, going from a 3 W – 7 L in Stage 2 to a 6 W – 4 L record in Stage 3. The team scored impressive wins against Philadelphia Fusion, Houston Outlaws, and even Los Angeles Gladiators, ending the stage in 5th place.
The three things that make me favor San Francisco Shock in this match are the following: the result of the previous direct match between Shock and Gladiators (score 3 – 1), the fact that Shock has made massive improvements since the beginning of Stage 3, and the transfer that happened recently: Crusty, Boston Uprising’s former head coach, is now San Francisco Shock’s head coach. This will almost surely boost Shock’s playstyle and make the team even stronger. Keep in mind that with Crusty as head coach, Boston Uprising went 10 W – 0 L in Stage 3, becoming the first team in the league that wins a stage without dropping a single match.
Betway puts the odds for this match at 1.70 – 2.05 in favor of Los Angeles Gladiators, but the situation is actually upside down. This is a great opportunity to bet on the “underdog” for a high chance to get massive returns. Final betting prediction: San Francisco Shock to win.
Dynasty vs. Los Angeles Valiant
Match date: May 16th
Seoul Dynasty had a rough Stage 3, losing almost as many matches as in the previous two stages combined. Los Angeles Valiant, Los Angeles Gladiators, Boston Uprising, New York Excelsior and London Spitfire defeated Seoul Dynasty in Stage 3, clearly proving that the former OWL giant is now a much weaker contender.
Los Angeles Valiant improved its performance in Stage 3, ending with a record of 7 wins and 3 losses. This was much better than their Stage 2 result (4 W – 6 L), so the team is clearly on an upward trend. The opponents that managed to beat Valiant in Stage 3 were London Spitfire, Houston Outlaws, and Boston Uprising.
The overall performance statistics slightly favor Seoul Dynasty. But except from that, everything else clearly points towards a decisive victory in favor of Los Angeles Valiant.
Betway puts the odds for this match at 1.85 – 1.85, regarding these two teams as being perfectly equal in terms of strength and having equal chances of winning this match. I personally believe this isn’t exactly the case and see Valiant as the clear favorite in this dispute.
Final betting prediction: Los Angeles Valiant to win.
Fuel vs. Shanghai Dragons
Match date: May 16th
Both of these teams have had abysmal performances in Stage 3 and overall have had pretty terrible results. But there’s something about this match that makes it a rare betting opportunity.
Dallas Fuel ended Stage 3 with 1 win and 9 losses, losing multiple players along the way and being completely destroyed by internal conflicts. The team only managed to win 1 game and that victory came against (you’ve guessed it) Shanghai Dragons.
On the other side, Shanghai Dragons established a new record in Stage 3 and not just for Overwatch, but for the entire esports industry. Shanghai Dragons is now on an unprecedented losing streak and its best possible chance of getting its first victory is actually in this match against Dallas Fuel. Aside from showing signs of improvement by winning maps against tough opponents like New York Excelsior (score 1 – 3) and Philadelphia Fusion (score 2 – 3), Shanghai Dragons has recently made some player acquisitions which may prove to be very valuable in the near future.
Betway puts the odds for this match at 1.80 – 1.90 in favor of Dallas Fuel, giving Shanghai Dragons a lot of respect and anticipating a potential first win for this team.
Final betting prediction: Shanghai Dragons to win.