VGT slots are produced by Video Gaming Technologies, A Tennessee-based company founded in 1991. While they provide games for clients in Mexico, their primary market revolves around Class II bingo and slots games for Native American casinos in the United States, especially in Oklahoma.
More than 140 locations use their games, and they have more than 20,000 terminals in operation at any given time. In 2014, the company was acquired by online software developer Aristocrat Leisure, although the focus of VGT remains on land-based gaming.
In the 20+ years that VGT has been in operation, here are some of their most notable awards and achievements:
- Awarded Vendor of the Year by the Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association in 2003 to 2005.
- Voted a finalist for Company of the Year by the Nashville Technology Council in 2014.
- The #1 provider of gaming machines in the state of Oklahoma.
- In the United States, VGT is the largest privately-owned manufacturer and developer of casino games.
- Ranked as the second-largest lessor of gaming machines to Indian tribes in the United States.
- In 2006, founder and CEO Jon Yarbrough received the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur of the Year Award in Media and Telecommunications.
- Received numerous honors from the Oklahoma Quality Foundation, including Award for Commitment (2011), Award for Achievement (2012), and the Excellence Award for Best Practices in Customer Service and Satisfaction (2013).
- In 2013, they were awarded the Performance Excellence Commitment Award by the Tennessee Center for Performance Excellence.
- Ranked as the top provider for Class II games in the United States.
- In 2005, they were ranked #1 on the Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Companies List.
Class II Gaming
VGT specializes in Class II gaming machines, which differ slightly from the slots you’re used to seeing in places like Las Vegas and Macau. A standard slot is considered a Class III game, putting it in the same category as lotteries, blackjack, or horse racing according to the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. Class II games, meanwhile, are classified as bingo and the games associated with it.
When a tribe conducts a Class II game, the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act gives them the right to retain their authority when regulating and licensing the games. Class III games, however, require taxes and state compacts.
In order to get around this law, the tribes managed to develop games that worked in a way similar to bingo, while at the same time presenting the overall look of a traditional slot machine. Games are connected to a single server, and this controls which machine wins. Players compete against one another instead of the house, and the spinning reels are nothing more than window dressing.
VGT Slot Machines
Video Gaming Technologies offers a wide range of slot machines for land-based casinos. In this section, we’ll provide a look at the all current options.
The games in this section feature video reels instead of the more old-fashioned mechanical option. All games feature the Red Screen Free Spin option, which is one of the most recognizable features on games from VGT.
- Cameloot – This 5-reel, 9-line video slot takes players to the legendary court of King Arthur and allows them to fight for piles of gold. A maximum of 45 credits can be wagered, and denominations include the following: $0.01, $0.05, and $0.25. The Juggles the Jester bonus allows players to pick colored balls for bonus prizes, while the Wizard’s Wheel allows you to team up with Merlin for cash prizes. There’s also wacky gremlin named Newton the Nudger who randomly appears to award bonus cash. The top prize on the game is worth 25,000 credits.
- Frankenstein – If you’re looking for a Class II game that’s going to make the hairs on your neck stand up, try this game based on the chilling novel from Mary Shelley. It’s the first release in the new XSpin line from VGT, and it features 5 reels, 30 paylines, a top wager of 300 credits, and a max payout of 25,000 credits. Denominations include $0.01, $0.02, and $0.05, and the game also features total win multipliers, random wilds, and expanding wilds.
- Lizards on the Loose – With a top payout of 50,000 credits, this whimsical game will have you dreaming of cute lizards. It’s a 5-reel slot with 40 paylines and a maximum wager of 400 coins, and players can choose from $0.01, $0.02, and $0.05 denominations. In addition to the tongue-flicking lizard symbols, there are wild multipliers and stacking free spins.
- Silver Dollar Shootout – When the townsfolk are robbed by Blackhat Burt, it’s up to Greenback Jack and his trusty steed to save the day. Live out the excitement of the Old West in this 5-reel, 20-payline game that features a top prize of 50,000 credits. The gremlin known as Newton the Nudger shows up again to award random prizes, while bonus rounds include Gold River Canyon, Blow’d Up Good, and the Silver Dollar Shootout.
- The Hunt for Neptune’s Gold – This is a 5-reel, 20-payline game that tasks players with diving beneath the ocean’s surface to retrieve a fortune in sunken treasure. The maximum wager is 200 credits, and this provides the opportunity to hit a jackpot worth 50,000 credits. Newton the Nudger is back, but there are also four other bonus rounds including Neptune’s Maze, Mine Field, Shark Attack, and Diamond Hunt.
5 Reel Mechanical Slots
If you prefer an old-school gaming experience, be sure to try your luck at these slots that feature actual mechanical reels instead of computer simulations. Each option includes the Red Screen Free Spin feature, allowing players to win additional rotations of the reels at random points in the game.
- Free Spins of Fortune – A 9-line machine with a maximum wager of 180 credits, this game can be played in denominations of $0.01, $0.02, and $0.05. The top prize is worth 392,000 credits, and bonus features include a 7x and 49x multiplier.
- Gemstone Falls – This 9-line, 180-credit game beckons players into a land of colorful gems. Spin the 5 reels for a chance to win up to 392,000 credits in cash, and the dazzling bonus features can blast any prize into the stratosphere with multipliers from 7x to 49x.
- Land of the Free Spins – This game features a patriotic theme that celebrates the greatness of America while offering a top payout of 392,000 credits and bonus multipliers from 7x to 49x. The game has 9 paylines and a top wager of 180 credits, as well as denominations ranging from a penny to a nickel.
- Pirate’s Paradise – Set sail on the Seven Seas with this 5-reel game featuring 9 paylines and a maximum wager of 180 credits. The top jackpot pays a generous 392,000 credits, and the bonus features allow winnings to be increased by multiples of up to 49x. Three denominations are available, including $0.01, $0.02, and $0.05.
3 Reel Mechanical Slots
In addition to a handful of 5-reel mechanical slots, VGT also offers a larger number of 3-reel games. While these feature a more basic design than some players are used to, they still offer decent payouts for minimal wagers.
- 777 Bourbon Street – Head down to the French Quarter in New Orleans courtesy of this single payline slot. The top award is 10,000 credits, and the following denominations are available: $0.25, $1, $2, $3, and $5.
- Money Bags – The most popular 3-reel game from VGT, this slot features a likable mascot who offers players up to 2,500 credits in winnings. Denominations range from $0.25 to $25, and up to 3 coins can be wagered per spin.
- Reel Fever – Catch the fever for gambling while playing on this single payline game that offers a maximum jackpot of 10,000 credits. Denominations include the following amounts: $0.25, $1, $2, $3, and $5.
- Tito Puente: King of Mambo – This musical icon entertained listeners for over 50 years, and now you can enjoy this single payline game that pays tribute to his accomplishments. The top prize is 2,500 credits, and denominations vary in size from $0.25 to $25.
- Devil Ducky – When a duck decides to head to the seedy part of town, you never know what kind of trouble he’s going to get into. This bizarre slot offers a maximum payout of 1,000 credits, and betting denominations range from $0.25 to $10.
- Crazy Cherry – The top award on this slot is 10,000 credits, and the denominations start at $0.25 and climb all the way to $5. This is a favorite among fans of traditional slots, as it features the distinctive cherry symbols that are contained on many slot machines from the past.
- It’s Payback Time – This single payline slot features Uncle Sam and has a top jackpot of 4,000 credits. The denominations on the game start at $0.25 and climb as high as $25. This slot also includes the Add-a-Reel feature, which eliminates confusing paytables in favor of a more simplistic system. Even better, 2x multipliers are present on every reel.
- Major Bucks – Even if you never served in the military, this game makes you feel like you’re right in the middle of basic training. There’s just one payline to keep up with, and the top prize is 2,500 credits. The smallest available denomination is $0.25, while more ambitious players can risk up to $5.
- Planetary Pigs – Take on the role of a planet-hopping pig in this unique sci-fi game. As you travel the galaxy seeking adventure and trying not to get turned into bacon, you can blow up planetoids with your phaser and earn up to 7,500 credits in the process. $10 is the maximum denomination, and up to 3 credits can be wagered per spin.
- Celia Cruz: The Queen of Salsa – Enjoy the legacy of Celia Cruz, the celebrated Cuban-American musician who thrilled crowds with her rousing salsa performances. The game features a single payline and a 2,500 credit jackpot, as well as denominations ranging from $0.25 to $25. Just be careful, as the tunes from this game might cause you to jump out of your seat and starting dancing in the middle of the casino.
- Super Hits! – This is a classic slot that includes a maximum payout of 10,000 credits. The top denomination is $5, so it’s an affordable option that can be enjoyed by players of all economic levels.
- Squirrels Gone Nuts! – Anyone who’s ever watched squirrels knows that they’re a little crazy, and this Class II slot certainly provides adequate proof. Up to three coins can be wagered per spin, and denominations start at $0.25 and climb to $25. The top payout is 2,500, but even those who walk away with nothing should have a smile on their face thanks to the antics of these furry rodents.
- The Lucky Leprechaun – This slot conjures up images of Ireland, four-leaf clovers, and whimsical leprechauns guarding their pots of gold. Players can win up to 2,500 credits, and they only need to risk from $0.25 to $25 per spin.
Where to Find VGT Slots in Oklahoma
Slots from VGT are located across the United States and Mexico in over 140 gaming establishments. While the following list is far from complete, it should provide a decent idea of the company’s influence within the Oklahoma gaming industry.
- Choctaw Casino Resort in Durant
- Creek Nation Casino in Eufaula
- Ioway Casino in Cimarron
- Texoma Gaming Center in Chickasaw
- Native Lights Casino in Tonkawa
- Downstream Casino Resort in Quapaw
- Glacier Peaks Casino in the Blackfeet Nation
- Stone Wolf Casino in Pawnee
- Osage Casino in Tulsa
- Cherokee Casino Fort Gibson
- Apache Casino and Hotel in Lawton
- Choctaw Casino at Idabel Travel Plaza in Idabel
- Bristow Bingo Hall in the Creek Nation
- Comanche Spur Casino in Elgin
- Newcastle Gaming Center in Chickasaw
- River Mist Casino in Seminole
- Duck Creek Casino in Creek
- Osage Casino in Ponca City
- Wewoka Casino in Seminole
- Thackerville Gaming Center in Thackerville
If you play at a land-based casino in the United States or Mexico, there’s a good chance that you’ll encounter one of the VGT slots listed above. Their reputation for pleasing both customers and clients has grown substantially since their 1991 debut, and features such as the Red Screen Free Spin ensure that even more players should gravitate to their products in the coming years.