Unbeaten France takes on Albania in Group H competition of the 2020 Euro qualifiers on September 7, 2019, at Stade de France in Saint-Denis, Paris, France.
France enters this match-up not only as of the soccer betting favorites but also as the #2 ranked team in FIFA as of the latest rankings. The French are coming off a victory at the 2018 FIFA World Cup, their second World Cup triumph. They were also the runners-up of the previous European Championship in 2016 where they lost to Portugal 0-1 in extra time.
As for this Euro 2020 qualifiers, France is unbeaten in four matches with three wins and one defeat. They have a current total of 9 points, same with Turkey, but are on top of the standings by a better goal difference. France overwhelmed Moldova in their opener 4-1 and followed that up with a 4-0 shutout of Iceland in their second match. France dropped a 0-2 match against Turkey but bounced back to blank Andorra 4-0 in their latest match at the Euro 2020 qualifying tournament.
Here is the player who suited up for France in their last game played at this tournament:
- Goalkeeper: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) (captain), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Lecomte (Montpellier), Mike Maignan (Lille)
- Defenders: Lucas Digne (Everton), Clement Lenglet (Barcelona) Ferland Mendy (Lyon), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart), Leo Dubois (Lyon), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona), Kurt Zouma (Everton)
- Midfielders: N’Golo Kante (Chelsea), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Tanguy Ndombele (Lyon), Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham)
- Forwards: Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Florian Thauvin (Marseille)
Odds from Titanbet.com as of 7/16/19
Albania is currently the 66th ranked team in the FIFA rankings and this is a team whose highest rank reached was 22 which they achieved in August 2015. Albania has never played in the FIFA World Cup and their appearance at the 2016 European Championships was the first in the nation’s history. Albania scored their first-ever goal at the Euro and scored their first-ever win in a major international tournament when they defeated Romania 2-1 in June 2018.
In the current Euro 2020 qualifiers, Albania is currently in fourth place with two wins and two losses for a total of 6 points in the Group H standings. They lost to Turkey 0-2 in their opener last March 22 but bounced back to blank Andorra 3-0 three days later. They made it back to back wins with a shutout of Moldova 2-0. In their last match played at this competition, they lost to Iceland 0-1.
Here are the players who played in their last match against Iceland:
- Goalkeepers: Etrit Berisha, Alban Hoxha, Gentian Salmani
- Defenders: Mergim Mavraj (captain), Elseid Hysaj (vice-captain), Ermir Lenjani, Freddie Veseli, Naser Aliji, Ardian Ismajli, Kastriot Dermaku, Ivan Balliu, Enea Mihaj,
- Midfielders: Odise Roshi, Amir Abrashi, Taulant Xhaka, Ergys Kace, Ylber Ramadani, Emanuele Ndoj, Kristi Qose
- Forwards: Armando Sadiku, Bekim Balaj, Sokol Cikalleshi, Myrto Uzuni
This is a David vs Goliath scenario we have here and in this case, there may not be enough possibility for a giant-killing spree. France is such a heavy betting favorite to beat Albania and anywhere I look at this match-up, I don’t see how Albania topples a team led by the rising Kylian Mbappe.
Mbappe broke out at the 2018 FIFA World Cup and he continues to improve as he grows a little older. In this particular tournament alone, the Paris Saint-Germain forward has scored a goal in each of France’s three victories. And in the current preseason games with his professional club, he’s looked in clinical form.
These teams have played a total of seven times before and France has won five times. Albania has one win and has forced one draw against the Euro heavyweights but these two matches came during Friendlies. France has won every tournament match against Albania and has done so with an aggregate score of 11-1 with three of those matches being shutout wins. That said, I think this will be another clinical win for Mbappe and company.
France is one of the favorites to win the Euro 2002 with their young and very talented stars led by Mbappe. If the teams continue to carry these names along in future competitions, it will be hard for opponents to figure out France, not with the firepower they possess. Albania is going to find that out first hand on September 7, 2019. I’m picking France to beat Albania on 9/7/19. Prediction: France